The organ of St George’s is a 19th century instrument, newly rebuilt and modified by Peter Collins in 2002 to the specification of Ian Bell. The inaugural recital was given by David Flood on Friday, 14 June 2002. We are very fortunate to have a committed four-part choir leading the worship at 10am each Sunday; on the first Sunday of each month they sing a full Choral Evensong, and on alternate months this is followed with a recital by a visiting organist. We welcome expressions of interest from anyone who would like to sing with us or to play the organ, for services, practice or recitals.
The instrument cannot be assigned to any one organ builder (the earliest metal pipes are clearly the work of two different builders); features have suggested links with Willis or Hill. It may well have been an instrument transplanted from elsewhere. Work is known to have been carried out in 1898, and further changes were made in the 1950s by the Canterbury firm of F.H.Browne, and in 1979 by N.P.Mander Ltd. The more extensive re-building focused on redressing an imbalance between Great and Swell Organs and enhancing the Pedal Organ. It is good at accompanying and leading the worship and can accommodate most of the repertory (with a little imaginative use of stops!).
Organ recitals are often given following Choral Evensong.. The service begins at 5.00 p.m. and the Recitals at approximately 5.45 p.m.
The programme for 2017 looks like this:
|March 5th||Michael Bacon|
|May 7th||John Williams|